Walnut Cardamom Bliss Balls

Walnut Cardamom Bliss Balls

Holy bliss balls, you guys!!! These little gems are seriously delicious. My husband and I ate them yesterday on our way home from hiking in the snow to get our Christmas tree, and we were both saying how much they taste like little donut holes. All my favorite spice flavors all in a little ball. What could be better!? These balls are great for making in large batches and freezing. A fresh batch can be kept in the fridge or even on the counter if you prefer them to extra soft when eaten. I’m headed off to Breitenbush Hot Springs for a 2 1/2 day retreat with some lady friends. See you when I get back! XO

Walnut Cardamom Bliss Balls
[Makes about 15 balls]

2 cups walnuts
3 cups almond meal
1 cup medjool dates, pitted (about 8 dates)
1/2 cup extra virgin coconut oil, melted
2 teaspoons coconut flour
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cardamom
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 pinches pink salt
Optional: 2 teaspoons reishi (or adaptogen of choice – maca or cordyceps would also be delish!)

1. Process all ingredients in food processor until a sticky dough forms.
  2. Gently roll into small round balls. Roll balls in dried coconut, chopped nuts or any other desired add-in. Enjoy!

[Balls will keep in freezer for 1-2 months or in the refrigerator for 1 week.]

[Note: If balls are coming out too dry, try adding a tablespoon more of coconut oil or 2 tablespoons of almond butter to the food processor.]

YOU MIGHT ALSO LOVE

41 comments

Meredith December 3, 2017 - 7:34 pm

Any recommendations on coconut substitutions? I’m allergic. Thanks!

alison wu December 6, 2017 - 5:44 pm

You can just omit the coconut flour!

XO

Jeanie francis December 3, 2017 - 9:24 pm

What substitute would you recommend if I have an allergy to almonds and need to sub out the almond meal?

alison wu December 6, 2017 - 5:44 pm

You could try hazelnut meal, or any other nut flour/meal that you can tolerate! XO

Alex December 4, 2017 - 5:28 am

Wow!! I just made these, I omitted dates as I’m on a low sugar diet, instead I added a tablespoon of melted coconut butter and some soaked sunflower seeds I had leftover from another recipe. Delicious !!!

alison wu December 6, 2017 - 5:44 pm

Yum! Those substitutions sound so good!

XO

Gracie February 2, 2018 - 5:05 pm

Hi Alex, how many sunflower seeds did you use? I just don’t like the taste of dates :/

Julie June 6, 2018 - 11:24 pm

THANK YOU for this!! I am also low sugar and couldn’t do the dates – this sounds perfect.

Emily Denise December 4, 2017 - 5:29 am

I was sold as soon as you said they tasted like donut holes! ? Can’t wait to try these and play with cardamom for the first time- thanks for the inspiration!

XO, Emily
Epicurean Emily

alison wu December 6, 2017 - 5:44 pm

YAY!!

Erin December 4, 2017 - 12:51 pm

Is there anything that I could sub for almond meal? Seeing this ingredient in a lot of recipes lately but I’m allergic to almonds, soy and peanuts. 🙁

alison wu December 6, 2017 - 5:45 pm

You could try hazelnut meal or any other nut flour/meal that you can tolerate!

XO

Tania December 6, 2017 - 2:26 am

Made them ce soir! They do taste like donut holes and definitely hit the spot when you want something sweet. Oddly filling. Very good and will be making them again!

alison wu December 6, 2017 - 5:45 pm

Yay! So glad to hear you liked them!

XO

Angela | A Serene Pursuit December 6, 2017 - 4:54 pm

These seem so simple! I’d totally eat them in one sitting lol. I definitely need to get some ground ginger, sometimes I don’t have time to grind the root, but I bet it gives it such a nice kick!

Katie Janovec December 7, 2017 - 7:30 pm

Bomb AF!!

Mariana Cohen December 9, 2017 - 3:07 am

I made these tonight and they are soooo delicious! They taste just like a chai latte in ball form. I did have to add a tiny bit of homemade-mylk to get the dough to stick. Thank you for the recipe!

Kristin Kupke December 11, 2017 - 11:19 pm

Alison! I just made these and they are epic. The spice factor really takes it to the next level. Used fresh ground ginger instead. The dough comes together just fine if you pulse long enough. I doubled the cardamom and cinnamon and added maca powder. XO!

Maria Koutsogiannis December 20, 2017 - 4:45 pm

Well these are incredible! well done, girl!

alison wu January 11, 2018 - 3:50 pm

Thanks love!

Catherine January 8, 2018 - 9:16 pm

I just made these for snacks to take on a cross-country ski day at Teacup Lake. They were a big hit! I’m new to the blog and am really enjoying all the content. Thanks!!

alison wu January 11, 2018 - 3:42 pm

Yay! So glad. I hope you loved the bliss balls! XO

Golden Chip Bliss Balls – Wu Haus January 11, 2018 - 3:39 pm

[…] follow up to my Walnut-Cardamom Bliss Balls, these Golden Chip Bliss Balls are just the right counterpart. Inspired by one of my favorite […]

Mary A. January 18, 2018 - 5:33 am

Hi Alison! I just whipped up some of these bliss balls for my team at work. I, of course, had to taste test before the morning and they are fantastic! I really enjoy the warm spices in combination with the walnut flavor. I rolled some in coconut, some in cacao power and some in hemp seeds.

alison wu January 22, 2018 - 5:01 am

Yum! Sounds delish! So glad you liked the recipe. XO

Souki January 25, 2018 - 7:23 pm

I don’t use oil of any type. What could you substitute and keep the flavors?

Cheryl January 26, 2018 - 2:20 pm

Can I sub any nut for the walnuts I have a friend I would share it’s but she is allergic to hazelnuts & walnuts

Inside My Pantry: Staples to Always Keep on Hand – Wu Haus February 14, 2018 - 12:05 am

[…] dates I love dates SO much. I use these in my bliss balls, and occasionally I throw one in my matcha or moon milk if I’m feeling like I want some […]

Weekly Rounds Vol. 64 - 26 and Not Counting February 16, 2018 - 7:01 am

[…] recipes to try: Can’t wait to whip up these walnut cardamom bliss balls (I’ll have to substitute the almond meal for hazelnut meal since I’m allergic, but the […]

Nova March 10, 2018 - 7:54 pm

Just made a batch today for the first time and they are heavenly! Next time, to experiment with the flavors I might reduce the ginger slightly and throw in part of an over-ripe banana for a twist. Thank you for sharing this recipe, Alison.

Inside My Spice Cabinet - Wu Haus April 3, 2018 - 2:53 pm

[…] I love adding a hint of cardamom to my potions and elixirs, and of course my Walnut-Cardamom Bliss Balls are a crowd […]

Katie April 5, 2018 - 7:53 pm

Where do you typically buy almond meal? Is it the same as almond flour?

alison wu April 20, 2018 - 6:49 pm

Bob’s Red Mill

No-Bake Vanilla Cake Bites | Minimalist Baker Recipes June 6, 2018 - 10:01 am

[…] *Can sub 1/2 tsp vanilla powder or paste per 2 tsp vanilla extract.*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 of 16 bites without optional ingredient.*Recipe inspired by my girl Shut the Kale Up and adapted from the lovely Alison Wu's Walnut Cardamom Bliss Balls. […]

NO-BAKE VANILLA CAKE BITES – renaice September 3, 2018 - 5:39 pm

[…] *Can sub 1/2 tsp vanilla powder or paste per 2 tsp vanilla extract. *Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 of 16 bites without optional ingredient. *Recipe inspired by my girl Shut the Kale Up and adapted from the lovely Alison Wu’s Walnut Cardamom Bliss Balls. […]

Must Have Munchies: 27 Wellness Pros On Their Go-To Healthy Snacks | Naturest Blog October 1, 2018 - 10:03 am

[…] WU | My walnut-cardamom bliss balls. READ […]

Must Have Munchies: 27 Wellness Pros On Their Go-To Healthy Snacks | Your Great World October 1, 2018 - 10:08 am

[…] WU | My walnut-cardamom bliss balls. READ […]

Golden Chip Bliss Balls - Wu Haus March 15, 2020 - 11:55 pm

[…] follow up to my Walnut-Cardamom Bliss Balls, these Golden Chip Bliss Balls are just the right counterpart. Inspired by one of my favorite […]

All About Adaptogens with Anima Mundi - Wu Haus April 6, 2020 - 9:06 pm

[…] Walnut Cardamom Bliss Balls […]

These Healthy No-Bake Truffles Are the Treat You Need | Clean Plates June 22, 2020 - 4:49 am

[…] Walnut Cardamom Bliss Balls from Alison Wu […]

Kathleen McDonough July 12, 2020 - 12:24 am

I so wanted these to be perfect, but found them too dry and did as some others and added a little almond butter and coconut oil. Still too crumbly to hold, so refridgerated and then rolled in a little 70% cacao dark chocolate, keeping them in the freezer. Works, I just wish they were a little less dry.